5/07/2008

Quick Roundup

  • I haven't discussed the current giyur issue because I've been trying to get a copy of R' Sherman's psak din. In the meantime, I can't help but think that maybe THIS will be the crisis that finally precipitates a Religious-Zionist austritt.
  • In honor of Yom Haatzma'ut, I taught a bit about R. Yehuda Halevi. I had to clarify certain things:
    • He was from Toledo, Spain. He was not a Mud Hens fan.
    • He made aliyah pre- Nefesh B'Nefesh
    • He dreamed his whole life of an idealized Land of Israel, but when he got here, he was steamrolled (or so the legend goes). Some things never change.
  • There was an event for the whole religious community of Modiin this evening. The way I see it, that's a guarantee of at least 5 speeches - Religious Deputy Mayor, 3 Chief Rabbis, and at least one of the following: religious boys' high school head, religious girls' high school head, Hesder Yeshiva head. I got there in time for Maariv, waited 15 minutes for an overtime speech to end, and left after Maariv before the next speech began. These people need to learn how to party.

No comments: