Nefesh B-Nefesh in encouraging its olim in honor of Parashat Shelach, to write lists of 12 great things about living in Israel . I thought it would be fun as a meme to spread around the Anglo-Israeli blogosphere (after I started composing this list this morning, I saw that it’s becoming all the rage and everybody’s doing it. And here I thought I was being original). Here goes. 12 great things about living in
2) You can give your kid a Jewish education without having to feel like you’re not getting what you pay for
3) One day of Yom Tov – like it says in the Torah
5) Talking Torah with the security guards at the supermarket
6) Having kids with cute Israeli accents (shnee-tzell)
7) The Makolet (there’s really no English translation for ‘makolet’ into English; I once translated it for someone as ‘bodega’)
8) It’s one of the most literate societies on Earth (any ‘Hebrew Book Week’ starts tonight!)
9) The sheer volume of different Torah study opportunities
10) You can go for a walk from your house to an archaeological dig where Jews lived 2000 years ago (and more)
11) An amazingly high concentration of really interesting people
12) The society as a whole is truly family-focused.
It's interesting to note which elements seem to recur.
Did I miss anyone?