5/19/2007

Shlah Awareness Day

Last Thursday, I received three separate email telling me about a special prayer, ostensibly composed by the Shlah, to be recited on the day before Rosh Chodesh Sivan. It happens to be a truly beautiful prayer, as are many of our prayers. It just so happens that this is the first I’ve ever heard of this prayer. The prayer petitions God for good children.

I have no idea why this thing caught on, but I think it’s a bit strange. I’m not a big believer in any kind of special mystical powers of any particular prayer, and in general think that the current schedule of prayers is a bit too heavy, and should be trimmed back. I think it would be nice to have a ‘Shlah Awareness Day’, and I guess that 29 Iyar is as good as any, though it’s a bit tough coming right after Yom Yerushalayim / Shmuel Hanavi Awareness Day (28th of Iyar is ostensibly his yahrzeit and is observed by many as a minor holiday; thousands make a pilgrimage to Nebi Samwil, his ostensible tomb). I’m just weirded out by the sudden massive popularity that this prayer gained. I have no good explanation.

No comments: