4/06/2008

Baseball Season

This year, I sprung for MLB's GameDay Audio. For 15 bucks, I can listen to ball games while I work. I love listening to baseball on radio. That was my childhood.

It's also nice that the Birds are playing well so far. I'd be shocked if it lasted, but it's been fun, and today's comeback was pretty thrilling.

Here's my question, though. I've suspected for a while that Dennis Sarfate is Jewish. His last name is pronounced the way a Sephardi would pronounce צרפתי. Anyone know anything about this, one way or the other? I'm awfully curious. Who was the last Jewish 0? John Lowenstein?

1 comment:

explorer said...

Dennis Sarfate is not Jewish, but he has Jewish ancestry. He is a devout Christian, based on his Twitter account (https://twitter.com/dsarfate). His paternal grandfather, Daniel Sarfate, was the son of Greek Jewish immigrants David and Dora Sarfate (nee Alhades), from Salonika. David Sarfate is buried at Mount Carmel Cemetery, a very large Jewish cemetery in Queens, NY.