5/20/2007

Negiah.org

ON ONE HAND – readers of this blog know that I’m a big fan of open and honest confrontation of all sorts of Jewish issues, taking a cue (but not totally taking a cue) from R’ Kahana in Brachot – “It is Torah, and therefore we must learn it”. ON THE OTHER HAND, this website seems a bit bizarre. The goal is to treat adult subjects in an adult way, not adult subjects in a naarish way. I haven’t read the articles yet, but I don’t like the prospects.

Speaking of education, I think I have an idea – inspired by commenter elana – why the Shlah’s prayer became so popular recently: parents are looking for answers how to raise their kids, but are more looking for shortcuts than anything else. People invest a lot in their careers, etc., abd have unrealistic expectations about how far their tuition $$$ can really go. It’s a scary situation. Personally, I think that spending quality time with your kids can be really helpful in raising them. But hey, what the heck do I know. Go with the Shlah’s prayer.

And all of this leads me to the following statement, which is really so obvious that it should not need to be spelled out, but apparently does:

Parents should not blame schools/others for failing to do that which is essentially the parents’ job.

No comments: