9/07/2005

An Apt Metaphor for Daf Yomi

I’ve gone from being a Daf Yomi weekend warrior to 4 days a week (giving the shiur), which obviously also means that I’ve got to keep pace so I know what’s going on (though I’m dismayed to see how easy it is to simply skip a daf).

Yesterday, I was heading to the daf when I saw a sign posting for a ‘Speed Dating’ event. Speed dating is when you get a bunch of people in a room (preferably with gender balance), two people sit at a table, shmooz for a few minutes to barely get to know the other person, and then the whistle blows and it’s time to change partners).

As I continued on to the Beis Medrash where the shiur is held, I realized that Daf Yomi is just like Speed Dating. You get to spend enough time to get a sense that there’s something there that might be worth exploring or developing, the curiosity is piqued, and then it’s time to go on to the next one.

No comments: